Thursday, October 22, 2015

Book Review- Implant

Welcome to the world of a universal cure. Gordon Harding didn’t ask for the life he has. He didn’t ask to be orphaned. He didn’t ask to go through life with cancer. And he certainly didn’t ask to be pulled into a future world without warning–a world where every human being is controlled by means of a medical implant. And when he learns that he’s the only one who can destroy the base of operations, he’s faced with an impossibly painful choice: either hide and let the world decay under this mysterious futuristic force, or rescue humanity from oppression, knowing that there’s someone out there who is willing to use any means necessary to stop him.







Pennington has done it again folks! Implant is my first venture into the genre known as dystopian, and it was a lovely first step. I feel a bit sentimental here, as Pennington's Firmament series was my first venture into the genre of scifi. She is an amazing author whom I respect and support greatly.

In truth, for the first two-thirds of the book, I expected to be posting a very different review on here. The story was rather slow, and I felt that there were some loopholes in the plot which did not make sense. I held on, however, because I loved the characters.

Pennington did a magnificent job of creating three unique and well-rounded characters to take the spotlight. None of the characters read like a typical "hero", or "knight in shining armor". They were fallible, annoying, and even physically fell short of what most would consider to be hero material. I loved all three for those very reasons. With these characters, Pennington captured what being a hero actually means in a very real sense. She appealed to my human side, as opposed to my superhuman desires. 

Gordon was not what you would call endearing, attractive, or even fun. And yet, you found yourself identifying and rooting for this scrawny kid who can't run for more than a few seconds without feeling like he's going to die. He whined, he was angry, he made poor choices, and he was incredibly insecure. But when the chips were down, Gordon Harding came out a hero.

Doc. I had a very distinct "Han Solo" flavor come to mind whenever Doc was around. Gruff and cynical, his persona was that of someone untouchable. But in brief flashes of vulnerability, you saw the heart of gold beneath Doc's dingy shirt and jacket. In the end, Doc came out a hero.

Neil Crater. I'm not intentionally keeping up with the Star Wars theme here, but Dr. Neil Crater was about as "Luke Skywalker" as they come. Passionate and eager, he felt things deeply and was angered when others didn't appear to care as much as he did. He was the fuel to the fire that kept the Rebels alive. He could be annoying and act like a know-it-all, but when it was all said and done, Dr. Neil Crater was a hero.

As I said, the characters kept me going. And when I reached about the two-thirds mark of the book, my faith paid off. Pennington did not disappoint me at all. Plot twists! A sudden change of pace, and a beautiful binding of all loose threads and plot holes. A show-down with a wonderfully creepy villain fulfilled my reader's desires entirely.

I was privileged to help Pennington out with some of the marketing for Implant. I am so thrilled to have had even a little part to play in this project, and I am so proud of Pennington for her skill as a writer.

Check Implant and Pennington's other works out on Amazon. Also, you can find her on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and her blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment