Friday, August 7, 2015

Book Review- Radialloy

The year is 2320. Andi Lloyd is content with her life as the assistant to her adoptive father, a starship doctor, but her secure world turns upside down when she begins uncovering secrets from her past. When her father mysteriously starts losing his mind, she finds that she can no longer count on him to guide or help her. With mutiny breaking out on the ship, and two factions desperate for a valuable secret she holds, she must race to help her father and herself before time runs out.











In preparation for the release of J. Grace Pennington's book Implant, I decided to review her Firmament series.

This was truly the first real science fiction book I had ever read. I chose well. Radialloy literally kept me at the edge of my seat and constantly guessing. Towards the end of the book, I wasn't sure if it the story was going to end well or not. I figured Andi would probably make it out since she has the special privilege of nine lives that comes with being the main character. But I had absolutely no faith that anyone else would make it.

If you are wondering if this book has a Star Trek feel, then yes, you would be correct. But this is a much more earth based type of Star Trek. No emotionless Vulcans or aggressive Klingons to take the spotlight, nor are they needed, the plot of this story and agony of the characters is about all that you can handle. But do sit back and enjoy the fine luxury of living on a Starship. The setting of this book was beautifully used to accent and highlight the intensity of the story.

Something I greatly appreciate about this series and Pennington's writing is that she weaves very true-to-life spiritual problems into her characters' lives, without making it feel pushy or domineering. Andi is a real person with very real struggles and emotions. She is a very relate-able character in that way.

But my favorite part? The fact that Pennington was able to keep me guessing, right up until the last moment! That doesn't happen often, I have become a pretty adept mystery solver and am very quick about getting all of my ducks in a row, or, so I thought.

No, Pennington upset my self-satisfied little idea that I knew what I was doing when it came to solving mysteries and accusing the "bad guys". She left my ego shattered on the floor and forced me to clip up and hang on for dear life like all of the other mortal readers out there.

And the ending? Gah! The closest thing I have to compare it to would be the endings of the Cooper Kids books written by Frank Peretti. In that series, after having a series of events that leaves you breathless and nauseous, it always comes down to a single moment that must be perfectly timed or else all is lost. The ending of Radialloy is very similar in that it all comes down to a single moment of timing.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a good, heart-pounding story and the science fiction genre. Five stars all the way!

..........................................................................................................................................................

You can check Radialloy out here on Amazon. Also, be sure to check out the awesome Facebook party I am hosting on August 19th, 10:30-11:00 in celebration of Pennington's latest book, Implant.

And one, final thing. Guess who's writing a guest post that will be featured here on alivemasterpiece August 16th? That's right! Pennington herself! Please come check and it out and support this talented author.



No comments:

Post a Comment